Monday, June 18, 2012

Interview with Kate Evangelista, author of Taste



Kate Evangelista, the author of Taste, was nice enough to allow me to interview her by email.

Goodreads Summary of Taste:
At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans.

When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn’t realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.


My Interview With Kate:
Why do you think people are into zombies right now? In the 1950’s, you had movies like “Godzilla” and “Attack of the 50 Foot Woman” because people were afraid of radiation. In the 1980’s, you had movies like “Friday the 13th” in which the virgin always lived. This was when AIDS came into the scene. So, “Sex Kills”. So, what are we really afraid of that makes zombies so appealing?

This is such an intriguing question. When you ask people how the world will end, many of them believe it'll be a zombie apocalypse. I think it ultimately has to do with scientific and medical advancements. There is this fear that scientists are engineering something that could potentially kill us all and bring us back as marauding zombies. Notice all the zombie apocalypse news today in the US? The guy caught eating the face off another guy. Then there's this guy who dressed up as a zombie and scared people on the streets. There's something about zombies that seems so much more possible than an asteroid crashing into earth from space. 

I heard one of the rudest things a while back. Someone said that the reason so many adults read Young Adult books is that they can’t read “real” books. That the average reading level is so low that adults can only read children’s books now. Since I’m sure you disagree with this- as do I- why do you think the Young Adult genre is so appealing to adults?

I believe the YA genre has evolved now to mean something other than the reading level. I believe that YA means a novel with a teenage main character. A lot of the classics are YA novels. To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, these are "real" novels but they are YA. I think the most important thing is that people are reading again. There are so many distractions out there. YA isn't just for teens anymore. There are many adult themes tackled that I believe bring in adult readers. Plus, no matter how old we get, we should always stay young at heart.

A question for all the aspiring writers... How do you write? Do you outline things in advance? Do you plan out the book from start to finish? Do you have a writing schedule? About how many words do you write on a good day? (And any other writing tips you can think of that would help someone actually be able to finish writing a book)

I always start with a character. A character moves into my head and tells me his or her story. Then I start writing, usually at the beginning of the month. I would write a chapter a day without looking back until by the end of the month I have a completed novel. Then I start editing. As for a writing tip: learn to love the editing process. Editing is what makes a novel. 


The Quick Eleven:

1. What’s Your Favorite Harry Potter character and why? (I like Neville. I guess because I’m a mom)
I love Sirius Black. There's something about him that's so swoon worthy. I still don't believe he's dead, by the way!

2. I requested from Kate a Recipe for Sinigang. Which is my father's favorite thing to eat when he visits the Philippines. Most Americans probably haven’t eaten Filipino food. I have since I grew up in Hawaii. What’s the one dish that they should try? (I’m thinking Pancit or Lumpia. If only because they’d at least be like something they’ve eaten before and yet a little exotic...leaning towards Lumpia because Americans love fried food. It’s so good that when you have parties in Hawaii, you would ask, “Why did you invite so-and-so. I thought they annoyed you.” “Well, yes, but you know their lumpia is great and they offered to bring a pan of it to the party.” So they would show up with a tray/pan full of like 100+ lumpia and be annoying. The first time my husband came to a party and saw the lumpia sauce- which is normally a ketchup/soy sauce mixture, he walked out of the house and went to the store. Came back with a couple of bottles of Jufran Banana sauce for the lumpia. Yum!)
Pancit and Lumpia are good choices, but I would really suggest Adobo. You can never go wrong with Adobo. You can eat it with rice or with bread. I heard there is this food truck driving around in San Francisco that serves adobo. :-)

3. What was your favorite book growing up? The one your parents loathed because you would ask them to read it over and over and over until they had it memorized.

I actually don't have one. Not that my mom never read to me. She says she did, but I don't remember. How weird is that?

4. Favorite snack food.

BBQ flavored french fries.


5. A Hunger Games Question: Team Peeta or Team Gale?
 

Team Peeta all the way!   

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
 

6. Do you have a cute/embarrassing childhood nickname?

Yes, but you'll have to tickle torture me to get it out of me. *laughs*



7. Nutella- love it or hate it?

Love it!

8. Ereader or dead tree books?

Right now, dead tree books, but I am thinking of shifting into Ereaders too.


9. What author- living or dead- would you most like to meet?

Lisa Kleypas. I love her!



10. On men, boxers or briefs?

Boxer briefs, so sexy.

11. What’s your favorite scented candle? (Mine are, right now, anything with coconut and candles that smell like Christmas)

I love the smell of apple cider. It's so yummy!

I would like to take this time to thank Shay for letting me hang out on her blog today. I had so much fun answering her questions. Please make Taste part of your summer reading. I dare you to break curfew. Happy reading!

Kate's Blog (Purchasing Information at the bottom of the page)
Follow Kate on Twitter

Hmm...I don't know what they are, but I really want some BBQ Fries!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...